Karen practises in the firm’s Commercial Litigation Group and has over ten years' specialist expertise in the area of dispute resolution, insolvency and recovery.
Karen advises a wide variety of parties including corporate entities and insolvency practitioners on commercial disputes, with an emphasis on corporate and personal insolvency, recovery and corporate reconstruction. Karen has advised and acted on behalf of trustees in bankruptcy, liquidators, administrators, receivers, company directors, debtors and creditors (including a number of national banks) in relation to a diverse range of issues, including in the context of voluntary administrations, deeds of company arrangements, recovery actions, winding up and bankruptcy proceedings, secured creditor rights, priority issues and proofs of debt. Karen has also advised and acted for clients in relation to property and construction disputes and privacy issues and is experienced in mediating and negotiating to effectively resolve disputes in a commercial way.
Karen is a versatile and adaptable practitioner, who is able to work effectively on a range of matters both large and small in all areas of commercial litigation. Karen prides herself on her ability to work through complex issues and factual scenarios to formulate advice based on legal principles and commercial realities.
Some of Karen's past and current matters include:
- Ongoing enforcement for major Australian banks of residential and commercial securities involving real and personal property following acts of default by customers including the customer’s insolvency.
- Pursuing the multi-million dollar loan portfolio of a major bank for loans made for investments in a number of failed investment schemes.
- Bankruptcy and winding up proceedings and associated applications.
- Advising liquidators, corporate entities and company directors on voidable transaction and insolvent trading claims and pursuing or defending claims.
- Acting for a property developer in relation to breach of contract claims for sales of property off the plan.
- Assisting in the conduct of the audit negligence claim brought by the Receivers and Managers of Harris Scarfe against its former auditors.
- Advising the Receivers and Managers of Harris Scarfe in relation to various insolvency issues.