Alex is a Partner in our commercial team with over 11 years’ experience as a corporate and transactional lawyer. He specialises in corporate and commercial law, with an emphasis on mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and corporate restructurings. He has acted on major transactions for a range of listed and unlisted companies, including companies operating in the energy and resources, financial services, telecommunications, retail, pharmaceutical and agribusiness sectors. Alex also provides advice on general commercial contracting and company law and governance matters, and has recently advised on a number of significant debt finance transactions involving major banks.
Prior to joining Fisher Jeffries, Alex worked in the Melbourne and Adelaide offices of a leading international law firm (including a secondment to the London office), and the Adelaide office of a leading Australian national law firm. Alex has also completed a Bachelor of Engineering and has previously practised as a civil engineer with a leading global engineering, construction and services company.
In 2010, Alex completed an 8 month secondment with ANZ. More recently Alex completed an extended secondment with Cobham Aviation Services. From those experiences, Alex gained first hand insights into the broad range of issues which confront businesses, and their in-house legal teams, and the importance of tailoring timely and cost effective legal solutions.
Some of Alex's past and current matters include:
- Advising Alceon Group in relation to its investment in the Eptec Group.
- Advising the lead manager in relation to the management buy-out of Cheap as Chips.
- Advising the shareholders of Core Medical Solutions in relation to the sale of the company to Allscripts.
- Advising AWB in relation to the sale of the Landmark Financial Services assets to ANZ.
- Advising ExxonMobil in relation to Mobil Australia's sale of business assets to 7-Eleven.
- Advising JP Morgan Cazenove, as underwriter for UK-based Babcock International Group plc's £1.1 billion rights issue (used to fund its acquisition of the Avincis Group), in relation to its US securities law "10b-5" prospectus due diligence (based in London).
- Advising a Hong Kong based private equity fund in relation to its funding arrangements with, substantial holding in and proposed takeover of an Australian listed mining company.
- Advising BHP Billiton on various mining exploration project and tenement acquisitions in South Australia.
- Advising Cheap as Chips in relation to its negotiation and documentation of new debt and security arrangements with a majorbank.
- Advising Eptec Group in relation to its negotiation and documentation of new debt and security arrangements with a major bank.
- Advising an Australian transport and logistics provider in relation to its renegotiation of existing debt and security arrangements with a major bank.
- Advising a large Australian wine producer and distributor in relation to corporate governance matters including directors’ duties and liabilities.
- Advising Santos on various corporate governance matters including directors’ duties and liabilities and corporate compliance policies.
- Advising Santos in relation to its renegotiation of a suite of documents relating to the ownership and operation of a prominent offshore oil and gas project in Australia.
- Advising Cobham Aviation Services in relation to the structuring of and negotiations for a suite of major Australian and international services contracts.
- Advising a South Australian based IT provider on its negotiations for a suite of major procurement contracts.
- Advising a large Australian wine producer and distributor in relation to its distribution contracts in the UK and the US.